The holiday season is a perfect time to celebrate diversity and inclusion. We at Morrison Community Living value diversity and want to create a workplace where all employees feel welcomed and valued. And we’re pleased to see how our teams are engaging one another. On our annual associate survey, we saw an 11 percent increase in diversity and awareness. We believe in the power of ongoing programming to encourage collaboration and learning, two things we feel are critical to building a successful diverse workforce. The holidays are a time of reflection and good will, a perfect setting for celebrating our uniqueness.
Here are a few extra things you can do to celebrate diversity and inclusion this holiday season:
- Take advantage of holiday parties. Holiday parties can help you meet and grow your network, which in turn can lead to more knowledge about the business and those you work with.
- Reach out to those individuals who look or normally sit alone. Invite them to sit with you at lunch or invite them to dinner; you never know a little act of kindness can go a long way.
- Research and learn about other holiday celebrations. There are a variety of religious beliefs, cultural traditions and customs celebrated during the holiday season. Watch a TV special about other celebrations, or check out books at your local bookstore while gift shopping. The more we learn about each other, the more we understand.
- Don’t be afraid to ask co-workers what they enjoy about the holidays and what they find challenging. Use this opportunity to share what you like about the holiday season as well. Let it be an opportunity to learn about different cultures and religions.
- Avoid any negative comments or conversation and maintain an attitude of gratitude and joy. It will prove contagious!
We’re all responsible for creating a culture of inclusiveness. A reminder to everyone to celebrate our differences as we move forward into the New Year!